Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I have lived many lives

I have lived many lives.
I have lived rice krispies for breakfast,
badmitton at lunch.

I have lived invoices in the afternoon,
pineapple rums at night.

I have lived financial planning
and figure drawing, kisses and
ravioli for dinner.

I have lived pancakes for breakfast
and can you stay?

I have lived abrupt sobbing
and I have never felt so close to you.

I have lived surprise mini paintings
hidden in your wallet
and tropical storms making the windows
go pop!

One summer I lived people spend their entire lives
looking for someone like you and the next season
I lived the sweet little girl
that you are isn't enough anymore.

But I'm only twenty one
and I haven't seen Paris
so I'll live twenty one more years.

And I haven't had someone completely
disprove that one perfect day is impossible,
or not worth a thousand days
of something else entirely,

And I haven't seen infatuation turn to love
and pancakes always, not just some days.

So I'll want to live to be a shriveled woman
with a hot pink walker and deep laugh lines
like the kind the ocean etches into shells

who says I've traveled through ninety two years
but I haven't tasted tiramisu,
so I'm required now to live
at least ninety two more years.

1 comment: